A man disqualified from driving until 2021 has been jailed after being caught behind the wheel on four occasions between November 19, 2016 and March this year.
(min cost $8)
Login or signup to continue reading
Mathew William McGuiness, 35, appeared at Cowra Local Court in custody on Wednesday, June 21 on four charges of driving during a disqualification period.
Magistrate Michael O’Brien sent McGuiness to 15 months in prison with a non-parole period of six months, meaning he’ll be eligible for release on October 24 this year.
On March 2 police stopped McGuiness behind the wheel of a white Holden Barina on the Mitchell Highway, near Dubbo.
After not providing a valid licence, police checks revealed his licence was disqualified until 2021 and further checks revealed he had three outstanding arrest warrants for similar driving matters.
He was arrested, granted bail justice and issued a field court attendance notice.
After failing to show up and face the charges at Cowra Local Court on April 19, arrest warrants were again issued.
McGuiness was arrested on April 25, refused bail and has been behind bars since.
At court, solicitor Jo Collings said her client “kept chancing it” behind the wheel and was “scared” of going to court by the idea of going to jail.
Magistrate O’Brien described the matters as “easily avoided” but said McGuiness had left the court with no option other than to take his “freedom”.
Before being escorted from the dock, McGuiness fought back tears, said he was sorry and that the offences were “very stupid and irresponsible things to do.”
He’s now off the road until 2029.
He was previously convicted of high range drink driving at Cowra Local Court on July 6 last year and disqualified from driving until July 2021.
Timeline of offences after being disqualified until 2021-
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.