Magpies let Bears match slip

Two late tries blew out the final score to 28-16 in the Cowra First Division rugby league side's 26-18 loss against Blayney Bears at Sid Kallas Oval on Sunday.

It was a case of different opponents for the same result for the Josh Newling lead Magpies who set themselves the task of having to get through too much defence after turning over too much possession, a similar scenario to the side's first round loss at the hands of the Mudgee Dragons.

"The funny thing was we had a really good week at training, we had great turnout both days, I was pretty confident going into the match," Newling said.

"Our warm up wasn't the best and then I suppose we just took that out onto the field."

The Magpies went into the match without three key players in Jack Harper, Tyler Nobes and Brendan Tidswell, their cause then not helped by three players being forced to leave the field due to the injury at different stages.

Nobes is key to the Magpies attack at half back with Tidswell one of the side's fittest players

The Magpies lost hooker Toby Apps to a shoulder injury, Kyle Kemp was stretchered from the field with a knee injury and Tyrone Eastwood left the field with a shoulder injury.

"Toby coming off definitely didn't help, he's our tackling machine," Newling said.

"We just did too much defence and that starts to creep up on you," he added.

"We're doing plenty of fitness and Stumpy (Tidswell) ran the arse off us pre-season so fitness shouldn't be an issue.

"We just need everyone to keep turning up at training, last week was a good turn out," he said.

Poor ball control cost the Magpies early, allowing Blayney to open their account within five minutes of kick off with an unconverted try before Cowra hit back with a try of its own through Jack Grant, converted by Thomas Rose.

The Bears then added two more tries to take a 16-6 lead, their second try coming after Cowra kicked out on the full from the re-start.

Will Ingram, who came on to replace the injured Kemp, crashed over for Rose to again convert and keep Cowra right in the match, down 16-12 at the half time break.

The Magpies drew first blood in the second half, levelling the scores at 16 all after an enterprising piece of play saw Rose combine with Ingram who found Jake Pollard in support for a four pointer out wide.

This try was to be Cowra's final points of the came with the side's defensive effort starting to take it's toll, the Bears adding two more tries to take the final score to 28-16.

Cowra was best served by five-eighth Darcy Howard and Jack Grant who shared the players player award on the day.

The Magpies are at home again on Sunday, hosting the Bathurst Panthers before a two week break.

In other First Division matches Orange Hawks 18 defeated St Pats 10, Lithgow Workes 10 drew with Mudgee 10 and Bathurst Panthers 30 defeated Orange CYMS 28.