The opening weekend of cod season saw some pristine conditions for fishing at Wyangala Dam, with hardly a breath of wind on Saturday, December 1 for the seventh annual Michael Clarke memorial fishing comp, which attracted 127 entrants.
Keen anglers fished from boats and from the shoreline, catching a variety of fish including cod, yellow belly, and catfish.
By midday on Sunday, most of the participants gathered at Wyangala Country Club for weigh-in, followed by the presentation.
This year, Keith Martin took out first prize of the Biggest Fish Men, snaring the men’s kayak and the Michael Clarke shield, with a 72cm cod.
Norma Clarke claimed the second prize of the Biggest Fish Ladies, claiming the women’s kayak, with a 67cm cod.
Other prize winners included:
- Adam Taylor for the Biggest Bag Men with eight yellow belly and two cod;
- Linda Howard for the Biggest Bag Ladies with six yellow belly and one catfish;
- Jay Kennedy for the Biggest Fish Boy with a 55cm catfish;
- Thomas Pullen for the Biggest Bag Boy with two yellow belly;
- Ella Campbell for the Biggest Fish Girl with a 69.5cm cod, and;
- Phoebe Porter for the Biggest Bag Girl with three yellow belly.
Thank you to our sponsors Keith Martin of Martin’s Bi-Rite and Garth Collins of Compleat Angler Cowra – your donation of prizes and assistance with registration is very much appreciated, can’t thank you enough.
Well done to all of you who won prizes, including the mystery category winners.
Thank you to all of you who registered, participated in and supported this event.
The organisers hope you all enjoyed yourselves and look forward to seeing you on January 5, 2019 for the annual Junior Carp Competition.
Registration is from 7am at the Ski Club, Wyangala Waters Holiday & Recreation Park with weigh-in throughout the day, final weigh-in at 4pm at the Ski Club.
Also coming up is Wyangala vs Archer Fishing Clubs competition on March 10 and 11 with Archer hosting the Wyangala Danglers at Greenwell Point.
Raffle tickets are on sale outside Woolworths (14th and 20th December) and at Wyangala Country Club.
Presentation and raffles drawn after weigh-in at Wyangala Country Club.
Prize winners of the Michael Clarke raffle are:
- Engel fridge – Tom Cameron;
- Reflections Holiday Park Wyangala Waters accommodation voucher – Wayne Hudson;
- Tacklebox – Graham Thompson;
- 2 x Wyangala Bistro $50 vouchers – Clint Cartwright and Lind McNamara.\
Also making news: