Assault will result in a lifetime of trauma, says magistrate

A Cowra man has been handed a 12 month good behaviour bond and was fined $500 after punching a man during March this year. 

Jarl Michael Davis, 27, was convicted for assault at Cowra Local Court on Wednesday, April 4, the victim receiving specialist eye treatment and three stitches as a result of the attack.

At court, solicitor Greg Bowen said his client was “surprised that he struck the victim” and that he’s “shown contrition”.

“[my client] instructs me he swung [at the victim] and was actually surprised that he struck [the victim]. Thankfully the victim’s eye was not damaged in the long term,” Greg Bowen said.

“The defendant has shown his contrition.” 

The offence occurred at the victim’s home about 7.15pm on March 20.

Davis inflicted a cut to the victim’s right eye and dizziness, police facts say.

The victim was taken to Orange Base Hospital for treatment.

Magistrate Michael O’Brien noted that Davis had no criminal history but said it was a “disturbing offence”.

“It had the very serious outcome of [the victim] requiring hospital treatment, luckily the injuries weren’t more severe but the trauma will now live with [the victim] for the rest of [their] life.

“It’s aggravated by the fact the offence happened in [the victim’s] home where he should feel safest.” An apprehended violence was put in place for a period of 12 months to protect the victim.

Drink driving

Cowra man Colin James Kilby will spend until July 18 without a drivers licence after being charged with mid-range drink driving in January.

Kilby, 37, was disqualified from driving for six months at Cowra Local Court on Wednesday, April 4 having returned a reading of .091 at a roadside breath test on Redfern Street on January 17.

His licence was suspended immediately and the disqualification was backdated to that day.

The court heard Kilby went fishing with friends, drank mid-strength and full-strength beer and “perceived” he’d be okay to drive having waited a period of time since his last drink. 

He was pulled up by police about 11.10pm.

Since being charged he completed the traffic offenders intervention program [TOIP]. 

“Hopefully as a consequence of this experience and of course having had the benefit of the TOIP we won’t see you again,” Magistrate O’Brien said.

He was also fined $400.