Woodstock Memorial Show cancelled in its "traditional format" for 2020

Ellie Hudson pictured at last year's Woodstock Show. Photo: Robin Dale
Ellie Hudson pictured at last year's Woodstock Show. Photo: Robin Dale

With the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and social distancing restrictions, the Woodstock Memorial Show committee have announced this year's show will be cancelled in it's "traditional format".

The committee made the announcement on Friday morning following a meeting on Thursday afternoon.

"On behalf of the Woodstock Memorial Show we wish to advise that a motion was unanimously passed at this evening's meeting to not proceed with our traditional Woodstock Memorial Show," the committee said on social media.

"This decision was not taken lightly, but in the interest of the health and safety of the public, our stewards, judges and volunteers and with the restrictions in place for public gatherings due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is considered that the most prudent decision."

While the show may be cancelled in it's traditional form, the committee said they were weighing up alternative options.

"However we are considering some alternative options that may still offer our patrons, sponsors and supported a unique show experience," the committee said.

"With no clear path to the full easing of social restrictions and the absence for some time yet of a viable vaccine, it was felt this was the only course of action in our case.

"Thank you all for your support and consideration. Watch this space."

The Morongla Show committee is set to meet tonight to discuss this year's show following the cancellation of August's Morongla Sheep Dog Trials.

The meeting will be held at 7.30pm at the Morongla Hall.