On Saturday, November 16, 2019, the Cowra Golf Club held their annual presentation evening combined for the second year, with both men's and women's awards featured.
President Robert Oliver welcomed all in attendance, paying tribute to his committee and the volunteers who help maintain the greens, the gardens and club house. Mr. Oliver also thanked the greens staff: Troy Hayes (who is superintendant), Nick Leister, Marty Gallagher, kitchen chef Aaron Wright and staff, Club Manager Kristy Bognar and the bar staff.
Thank you to all club members who enjoy the game of golf, whether competing or socially, and those who enjoy the venue's lovely ambience when holding a conference or the many social events.
Men's Captain Terry Johns and Ladies' Captain Sylvia McCormack proceeded with the presentations, both paying tributes to their committees, the genorosity of sponsors and the dedication of all staff and volunteers. Mr. Johns also welcomed Tom Perfect (the new professional) and his family, who took up duties in July of this year.
A special welcome was made to Life Members Alan Luff, Noel Riley and Jim Bryant. An apology was received from Life Member Jenni Fagan.
For the men, it was a very successful year of competitive golf. Thank you to President Robert Oliver, Captain Terry Johns and their busy committee, the Cowra Veteran Golfers' President and his committee, and the board of directors, whose contributions are appreciated.
The women also enjoyed a great year of golf competition. Thank you to Captain Sylvia McCormack, her hard working committee and the band of volunteers who helped 2019 run very smoothly, with some new playing members also joining.
COWRA LADY GOLFERS AWARDS
HANNA ROUNDS | MEMENTO: COWRA GOLF CLUB
- WINNER: Cheryl McKeown (457)
- SECOND: Sue Smith (461)
- THIRD: Sylvia McCormack (462)
- WINNER: Helen Butler (457)
- SECOND: Anne Coates (457 c/b)
- THIRD: Jo Bush 466
BIRDIE BOARD (Stableford Points) | MEMENTO: COWRA GOLF CLUB
- WINNER: Cheryl McKeown (74 points)
- SECOND: Holly Picker (59 points)
- THIRD: Sue Smith (34 points)
- WINNER: Trish Moerkerken (24 points)
- SECOND: Annette Sutherland (20 points)
- THIRD: Cookie Dolbel and Marcia McPherson (8 points)
VETERAN WOMEN GOLFERS' ASSOCIATION OF NSW
- Hole In One Badge: Sue Smith (16th green, October 9, 2019)
WHITELY SINGLES (Knockout Matchplay) | MEMENTOS: JENNI FAGAN
- Winner: Anne Coates
- Runner up: Trish Moerkerken
JENNI FAGAN ECLECTIC | MEMENTO: JENNI FAGAN
- Winner: Jenny Dresser 67- (12h/cap) =63.
- Runner up: Annette Sutherland 76-12 (23h/cap) = 64.
MOST REDUCED HANDICAP | MEMENTO: COWRA GOLF CLUB WINNER: Cheryl McKeown
CHIP-IN-BOARD (MOST CHIP-INS) | MOMENTO: CARMEL MANSELL
- WINNER: Sylvia McCormack (10 chip-ins)
- SECOND: Trish Moerkerken (8 chip-ins)
- THIRD: Lorraine Stubbing (6 chip-ins)
OLIVER BOWL & GOLD MEDAL | MEMENTO: COWRA GOLF CLUB WINNER: Debbie Gumley (nett 68)
BRIEN TROPHY | MEMENTO: BRIEN FAMILY WINNER: Jo Bush (nett 76)
JUNE JAMES MEMORIAL | MEMENTO: VANDA CASSIM
- WINNER: Jenny Dresser (nett 73)
- SECOND: Anne Coates (nett 74)
- THIRD: Cheryl McKeown (nett 76)
JENNY ARMSTRONG TROPHY | MEMENTO: JENNY ARMSTRONG
- WINNER: Sylvia McCormack (467)
- SECOND: Sue Smith (469)
- THIRD: Jenny Dresser (470)
OLIVER SALVER | MEMENTO: ANNE COATES
- WINNER: Annette Sutherland (35 points - 8 points allocated due to tie)
- SECOND: Jo Bush (35 points)
- THIRD: Jenny Dresser and Sue Smith (33 points)
MERLE HENNESSEY POINTSCORE | MEMENTO: DEBBIE GUMLEY
- WINNER: Cheryl McKeown (51 points)
- SECOND: Jenny Dresser, Sylvia McCormack and Sue Smith (43 points)
- THIRD: Helen Butler (38 points)
EUNICE BISHOP POINTSCORE (PLAYED OVER ALL 18 HOLE STROKE ROUNDS) | PERPETUAL CUP DONATION: THE BISHOP FAMILY
- WINNER: Cheryl McKeown (27 points)
- SECOND: Jenny Dresser (21 points)
- THIRD: Holly Picker (15 points)
2019 CLUB CHAMPIONS
- DIVISION ONE AND CLUB CHAMPION 2019 (Memento: Jenni Fagan): Cheryl McKeown.
- DIVISION 2 CHAMPION (Memento: Picker Constructions): Lorraine Stubbing.
- DIVISION 3 CHAMPION (Memento: Carole Doyle): Anne Coates
COWRA MEN'S GOLF AWARDS
BRYANT TROPHY | PRESENTED BY HAROLD BRYANT
- FIRST: Dave Thomas
- SECOND: Jayden Brown
- FIRST: James Brown
- SECOND: Terry Johns
GEORGE BISHOP TROPHY: Jayden Brown.
AMOS McLEOD KNOCKOUT: Warwick Spence and Matt Steward.
- WINNER: Brad Kennedy
- RUNNER UP: Terrence Rawiri
FAGAN KNOCKOUT | MEMENTO: JENNI FAGAN
- WINNERS: Craig Jefferies and Sue Smith,
- RUNNERS UP: Trish Moerkerken and Graham Thompson
J & C BRYANT STAR MEDALS WINNERS
- MEDAL A: Pat Edenborough
- MEDAL B: Ted McAlister
- MEDAL C: Col Ridding
- Division One (Dick Brien Trophy): Peter Kirwan and Michael Curtale
- Division Two (President's Trophy) : Craig Jefferies and Chris Barratto
- A Winners (Club Cup): Ray and Holly Picker.
- B Newling Cup Champions (presented by Beverly Oliver): Ray and Holly Picker
MOST IMPROVED JUNIOR AND JUNIOR OF THE YEAR: Jayden Brown (Mementos: Cowra Golf Club and Junior Shield)
JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS (Charles Savage Cup) WINNER: Jayden Brown.
VETERANS CHAMPIONSHIP (Max Clements Cup) WINNER: Peter Kirwan.
MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Division One (Les Hanna Cup) Winner: Peter Kirwan
- Runner Up: Sam McDonald
- Division Two (Len Whitely Cup) Winner: Mitch Shepherd
- Runner Up: Jayden Brown
- Division Three (E.R.Treasure Cup) Winner: Peter Garlick
- Runner Up: Chris Barratto
CLUB CHAMPIONSHIPS (72 HOLES)
DIVISION ONE CLUB CHAMPION
- Cyril Brownlie Cup (Winner): Michael Curtale
- Runner Up: Peter Kirwan
DIVISION TWO CHAMPION
- M.W. Blume Cup (Winner): Simon MacKinney.
DIVISION THREE CHAMPION
- E.J.Walker Cup (Winner): Terrence Rawiri
Thank you to Robert Oliver, Terry Johns, Tom Perfect, Sylvia McCormack Annette Sutherland, Carmel Mansell, Carole Doyle, Jenny Armstrong and Kristy Bognar for setting up the table arrangements and the wonderful display of trophies.