Finals a possibility for Eagles' men, women's team to play last game for the year

With four games fixtured last weekend, several of last weekend's matches were pivotal, particularly for the men's teams, who made sure they delivered on several fronts.


With two fixtures scheduled for this weekend after a snow affected weekend at the start of the month, you'd be excused for thinking the senior men's side would hold themselves back against the league leading Waratah FC at Edgell Park.

Instead, it was a game described by the Eagles' faithful as the best display of the season, with good defence and narrow misses meaning that despite plenty of opportunity, the final result would be 0-0.

Spectators would've been particularly pleased with the Eagles' willingness to match the visitors' physicality, which helped them win more ball than in previous meetings.

While the game looked as if it could boil over with the increased combativeness, the referees ensured that things were kept in check and that the game flowed freely.

Mitch Beer and Bevan Foxall both were outstanding for the home team, though every player had moment where they stood up throughout the game.

Coming away with the draw, the team was quick to move on to Sunday's make-up match against the Barnstoneworth Saints.

However, the Saints' forfeit meant the Eagles won by default, meaning they now can secure a semi-final berth against the Millthorpe Tigers at home this Saturday.

Senior Women's

While having to deal with another difficult 8-0 loss against a hungrier, finals bound Eglinton DFC football side in Bathurst District Football's Women's Premier League last Sunday (as mentioned above), the Cowra Eagles only have one more game before they can enjoy a much-deserved break.

Enduring a tough season after being grand finalists last year, the team has had only had one positive result for the season - a draw - and sit a long way behind any of their rivals in the competition, with the sixth-placed Macquarie United on 24 points to Eagles' seven.

Nevertheless though, the team has battled hard all year, only missing out on one game through a forfeit despite big losses and regular long-distance travel for matches.

It has also continually offered up competitive efforts despite regularly being outclassed by more skilled and strategically-focused teams.

With the last fixture of the year taking place at home, the team will be looking to get as many locals as possible to their Sunday fixture against the Millthorpe Tigers, which kicks-off from 3pm at Edgell Park.


A hat-trick to Luke Boyd was among the Eagles' highlights in a dominant 5-1 win against the Waratah Mariners on Saturday afternoon at Edgell Park.

The home team were slow out of the block, and the 0-1 half-time deficit would've been cause for concern, if not for the subsequent onslaught in the second half.

The Eagles began to control the game in the midfield, open up space in the forward line, and with control of the ball Boyd quickly made the most of his opportunities, with his three goals coming in quick succession.

Ethan Gray's classy left foot finish and a Mariners' own-goal added fuel to the fire, with Boyd and Jackson Browne among the best players for the Eagles in the runaway victory.

Like the senior men's side, the equation is very simple for next week: Win against the Brighouse Over 35's at home, and a top four finish should be the outcome.