The criminal and anti-social behaviour of firearm holders will be watched more closely under a suite of reforms made to the NSW Firearms Registry.
The NSW government modifications will see an increase in police officers in the registry workforce to focus on seizing firearms and suspending licences to help ensure firearms don't fall into dangerous hands.
NSW Police Minister David Elliott on Sunday announced the registry will also now fall under the leadership of NSW Police Deputy Commissioner David Hudson to better align it with police regulations.
"This will ensure the registry is better placed to perform background checks, ensure safe storage and seize firearms from licence holders," Mr Elliott said in a statement.
"We have to be ever vigilant and ensure that dangerous people do not get access to firearms while ensuring those who follow the rules receive the best available customer service possible."
NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said robust and thorough processes need to be in place to scrutinise and monitor people with firearm licences.
The reforms follow the NSW auditor-general's report earlier in the year which revealed critical gaps in how gun licences are managed in the registry because of out-of-date data.
The report made 10 recommendations including that the registry conduct computer access audits, address data backlogs and introduce procedures to quality-review decisions about suspensions.
Mr Elliott said on Sunday all recommendations have either been completed or are nearing completion.
Australian Associated Press