Brigade issues warning after second house fire in a week

Cowra Fire and Rescue members accessing the fire through the roof of the home in Henderson Street on Tuesday.
Cowra Fire and Rescue members accessing the fire through the roof of the home in Henderson Street on Tuesday.

Cowra Fire and rescue were called to a second house fire in the space of one week on Tuesday.

Brigade members attended a blaze in Kite Street on Sunday and another in Henderson Street on Tuesday afternoon.

On Tuesday the fact the owners were not at home and the house was closed up may have prevented more damage.

Fire and Rescue NSW Cowra station officer Chris Murray said the electrical fire damaged the kitchen and left the rest of the house extensively damaged by smoke and heat.

While the fire was not related to cooking Mr Murray has reminded Cowra residents that a fire can take hold quickly.

“Within three minutes you could have your kitchen fully involved in fire,” he said.

“You can’t see your hand in front of your face.”

Mr Murray said home owners can help the Cowra brigade by taking action to ensure they and their family stay safe over summer. 

“If you do your bit to minimise the risks in your home, we can all stay safer together,” Mr Murray said.

With the warmer conditions many residents are now cooking outside.

Mr Murray says before firing up the barbecue residents should be checking connections on hoses are tight with no leakage.

He said the best way to do this was with a spray bottle and soapy water.

“Never use a hose that has perished or is cracked and check the expiry date on the barbecue gas bottle,” he said.

Of the thousands of house fires Fire and Rescue firefighters attend each year 45 per cent originate in the kitchen.

“Never leave cooking on the BBQ or in the kitchen unattended,” Mr Murray said.

With the holiday season upon us Mr Murray said it is also important, before leaving home and going away on holidays, to ensure that your appliances are turned off and that your smoke alarms are working.

“If there is a fire in your home, a working smoke alarm can alert neighbours who can call Triple Zero (000),” Mr Murray said.

Also making news: