The opening of upstART 2017, took place at the Cowra Regional Art Gallery on Saturday 25 November.
This year’s exhibition comprises an exciting showcase of over 75 works by some of the region’s best and brightest young artists.
Since upstART commenced 14 years ago the Gallery has presented the artwork of over 1,700 young artists from the region including painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking, mixed media and photography.
This year's judge was Cowra based Artist, Designer and Teacher, Michelle Coombes. She spent several hours selecting the winners saying, “in awarding these prizes I acknowledge the bravery of these students who as artists, have really engaged with the creative process and have produced powerful, engaging and meaningful representations of their world”.
The upstART 2017 Award Sponsors are Eckersley’s Art and Craft, Webster Optometrists, The Vineyard Motel and Yellow House Cowra. Community Donors for the Awards are the Friends of the Gallery, Cowra Art Group Inc and Mrs. Margaret Henley. In-kind Sponsor is LT131 Pizza.
List of Award Winners:
- Winner Year 10 - Will Hazzard, Dubbo School of Distance Education
- Highly Commended Year 10 - Ellee White, Cowra High School
- Winner Year 11 - Erin Coyle, Molong Central School Artwork: Headspace
- Winner Year 12 - Sarah Williams, Molong Central School
- Highly Commended Year 12 - Melanie Grogan, St Raphael’s Catholic School
- Winner Open Painting - Janita Stapelberg, Year 11, Molong Central School
- Winner Open Drawing - Lily Corkhill, Year 12, Hennessy Catholic College
- Winner Mixed Media - Madison Harcombe, Year12, St Raphael’s Catholic School
- Highly Commended Mixed Media - Charlotte Simpson, Year 12, Henry Lawson High School
- Winner Open Photography - Cody Smith, Year 12, Canowindra High School
- Winner Open Ceramics - Patrick Hutchison, Year 12, Cowra High School
- Winner Open Sculpture - Julia Stanley, Year 11, Canowindra High School
UpstART 2017 continues at the Cowra Regional Art Gallery until Sunday, December 10.