Capsicum spray used in police assault

A Cowra man who ran at police in an “aggressive manner” and was capsicum sprayed has been issued a section nine bond to be of good behaviour for 12 months.

Jumara Cutmore, 20, was convicted of assault a police officer in Cowra Local Court on Wednesday.

The offence occurred about 11.50pm on March 31, when Cutmore verbally abused police outside a residence on Pridham Street, Cowra.

Police facts tendered at court say Cutmore ran at police in an “aggressive manner” and raised his fist before being capsicum sprayed in the face.

His solicitor Ben Tonkin told the court the offence was fueled by alcohol, and that Cutmore is a “binge drinker”.

He also said it was “fortunate” his client didn’t commit a “more serious” offence.

“I do concede it is a serious offence,” Mr Tonkin said.

“There was just a barrage of violent language being used. It’s fortunate actual violence wasn’t applied by Mr Cutmore.

“There was the use of the OC spray otherwise things could have been a whole lot more serious.” Magistrate Michael O’Brien warned Cutmore that more offending of a similar nature could result in time behind bars.

“Continued behaviour this way would result, I’m sure, in custodial sentences being imposed,” Magistrate O’Brien said.

“There’s nothing courageous about remonstrating or challenging police.

“It is not a dignified way to behave. Police are often called upon to do jobs they don’t want to do. But they’re called upon as part of their sworn duty to attend and put themselves in harms way.

“Offences against police need to be treated with particular seriousness.”

As part of the bond, he will be required to be under the supervision of community corrections staff.

Drink driving

A Canowindra man who submitted a positive reading at a mobile roadside breath test will remain off the road until next month.

Phillip William Sharp, 40, appeared in Cowra Local Court on Wednesday where he was convicted of mid-range drink driving.

Police facts say Sharp had consumed “four or five” cans of rum and cola between 5.30pm and 9pm on June 9 before being stopped on Lynn Street, Canowindra about 10pm.

After returning a positive reading he registered .109 at Canowindra Police Station.

He was disqualifed for six months, backdated to the time of the offence and fined $200.